Academy of Technologies and Business


It is your own responsibility to make sure that you have the necessary insurance if you want to do an internship abroad or a study abroad with one of our partner institutions. AND if your exchange abroad is within the ERASMUS PLUS programme then you need to observe a mandatory insurance requirement which you need to be able to document.

If an accident happens

As a student at Zealand you of course have access to our assistance and advice and guidance from your student counsellor and others on campus when abroad for an exchange. They can in most cases help you. But you also have free access directly to the national Student Counselling Service:

Generally, it is not recommendable to go abroad without having insurance (if needed). If an accident occurs (and accidents do occur) it can result in a rather large bill. You can follow below general guideline for making sure that you have the necessary insurance.

Insurance for study abroad exchanges

When going on student mobility for studies in Europe you must remember to order “The European Health Insurance Card” (the blue EU insurance card). The blue EU insurance card is free of charge and is ordered at You can read more about the specific rules and coverage in the country you are going to at the website. Please note that the blue insurance card does not provide coverage in all situations. We therefore recommend that you take out a travel and health insurance which, among other things, covers repatriation (transport home) and accidents.

When you go outside Europe neither the Danish “yellow card” nor the blue EU insurance card will cover. In this case it is quite important that you take out a travel and health insurance by yourself which, among other things, covers repatriation (transport home) and accidents.

Different circumstances apply for different students. A student membership in some professional organisations offer good insurance offers for students. But, generally, we recommend that you first contact your own (or family’s) insurance company or alternatively,

Finally, in some countries insurance comes together with the admission to the institution since it is a requirement to sign up for the insurance offered by the institution for visa purposes, e.g. US.

Insurance for Internship abroad

Regarding travel and health insurance which, among other things, covers repatriation (transport home) and accidents you are referred to the relevant input found above under study abroad exchanges.

In connection with traineeships abroad you must pay particular attention to the fact that you must also be covered by an accident and liability insurance. Accident insurance covers if you yourself suffer an injury, and the liability insurance covers if you cause injury to other persons or damage to property belonging to other persons.

We recommend in all cases that students going abroad for their internship make sure that they have the necessary accident and liability insurance in case of accidents or liabilities. Under the Erasmus Plus programme internships must follow an even more strict set of rules where it is mandatory for the student/participant to have the necessary accident and liability insurance which must be documented in order to receive funding from the programme.

Being covered by the insurance of the host company/organisation

The receiving enterprise will often have its own accident and liability insurance, and we recommend that you ask the enterprise that you become covered by it. Remember that the receiving enterprise must document this by confirming coverage in Table C of your Erasmus+ “learning agreement” together with a signature. If it is not possible for you to become covered by the receiving enterprise’s accident and liability insurance, you must take out the necessary insurance yourself.

You are NOT covered by the insurance of the host company(organisation)

The Danish Agency for Higher Education (in Danish: Styrelsen for Videregående Uddannelser) has drawn up a set of insurance conditions indicating the minimum coverage (standard clauses 1.0) recommended in connection with traineeships abroad.

They would be useful for you to bring along to your insurance company so that you can find an insurance that covers during the stay. The insurance company may then sign an insurance certificate which you can submit to your educational institution as documentation that you have an insurance which covers and which is recommended by the Agency.

The standard clauses and the insurance certificate are available here:

(you can also download the standard clauses and the insurance certificate in both a Danish and English version in the download box)

As can be seen, the Agency recommends that insurance is taken out to cover accident and liability, both when you work in the enterprise of your traineeship and at leisure. It is alone a requirement that you can document that you are insured when you work in the enterprise of your internship.

It is not a requirement that your insurance company sign an insurance certificate but we recommend this approach. In case your insurance company WONT sign an insurance certificate it will be up to you to be able to document that sufficient insurance coverage has be obtained in accordance with the standard clause. Otherwise you can’t join for the Erasmus Plus Programme.

Above would mean that we in reality only would be able to recognize an insurance from a German insurance provider/company called Dr. Walter, (the insurance product called Pro Trip World H). We recommend our students this insurance in cases where they have to draw up the insurance by themselves. And we would need to see documentation that the insurance has been joined to become eligible for support under the ERASMUS PLUS programme.

You are of course welcome to find alternative insurance providers/companies BUT IN SUCH CASES WE DO NEED THE INSURANCE CERTIFICATE.

Finally, international students who do their internship in their “home country” (country of citizenship) will need to search for an alternative insurance provider/company since the Dr. Walter product don’t cover in such situations.


Cookie settings

We use cookies to give you the best experience of By clicking ‘OK’ you agree to our use of cookies and Zealand’s privacy policy.

By clicking ‘OK’, you agree that our advertisers can process your data to target ads to you. You can withdraw your acceptance by clicking on ‘Ad Settings’ at the bottom of the page.


Cookie settings

If you do not want our partners to process your personal data and use it across the Internet, you can opt out here.