Academy of Technologies and Business

Study abroad outside EU

It is also possible to take part in a study abroad exchange outside Europe. Zealand has a number of institutional partnerships and partner agreements in various parts of the world. Ask your student counsellor or the international campus coordinator about the possibilities and where we have agreements already.

As a new Action (2015) study abroad students also can be considered for Erasmus Plus with institutional partners outside EU/EEA under the Erasmus Plus partner country programme. Zealand holds a number of Erasmus Plus grants for specific countries/institutions outside EU/EEA. Ask your International Mobility Ambassador about possibilities.

The world is big and there will of course also be countries where we do not have a partner or an agreement. In this case you will have to find the intended exchange host institution by yourself. In this latter case, the student independently contacted and obtained all relevant information about the study abroad exchange. The institution you find may require that Zealand joins an exchange agreement before they accept you as an exchange student. If this is the case you can contact with the local international Mobility Ambassador for our consideration on joining a bilateral exchange agreement with the institution in question.

For study abroad exchanges outside the EU you in particular must pay attention to the following requirement: The foreign institution is nationally recognized as a higher education institution in the institutions home country. Further you must be able to provide proof to your program director that the subjects and courses you want to study with the foreign institution:

  • Are offered as part of an officially recognized full-time study programme at Higher Educational level.
  • Are offered on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th year of an educational programme
  • The academic level of courses corresponds to the student’s higher education programme in Denmark.
  • Must be relevant to the student’s higher education programme (curriculum), but do not necessarily have to be identical to the subjects in the Danish curriculum (semester).
  • The total number of “credits” studied abroad must correspond to a Danish semester, ie. minimum 30 ECTS

Prior to a study abroad exchange outside EU an agreement must be joined (Learning Agreement) between the home institution, host institution and the student addressing the contents of the study abroad. This agreement also includes the question of how many credits (ECTS) the student is credited for a completed study abroad.

Payment and funding of tuition fee

When you choose a study abroad exchange outside the EU you must be aware that you often (especially for exchanges with institutions where we do not have a prior agreement on the exchange) will have to pay a price for studying called a tuition fee. It can be quite expensive – so check the price before you go too far in your planning. The amount to be paid may be so high that you can’t afford to go.

Danish students can apply with the Danish Government to have their government funding for studying with their Danish educational institution (taksameter) released to cover full or part of the fee that must be paid for the study abroad exchange (Udlandsstipendium). However, you should expect a minor contribution. For certain types of Danish higher education programmes the funding from Danish government is quite low why your own contribution can be quite considerable. The same goes for certain high profiled and ranked foreign institutions. For more information on please visit: (look for “udlandsstipendium”) You can also contact with your local international Mobility Ambassador on campus for application details and procedures.

EU and Non-EU students must normally honour and manage the required tuition fee by themselves.

Generally, the possibilities for financial support for study abroad exchange outside the EU is not the best. For some countries, Danish students may be granted a special grant that can be applied (check on ). Further, some students would be able to apply for various grants to help support a study abroad (but it is hard work!).

Danish students are further permitted to take their student grant from Danish Government (SU) with them when taking part in a study abroad exchange outside EU.

You can find more information on scholarships, SU and financing on this site.

How to apply

On this site go to apply if you wish to apply for a study abroad exchange under the Erasmus Plus Programme. Under apply you find the relevant application procedure for applying and downloadable documents needed to file the application for an Erasmus Plus study abroad.


Cookie settings

We use cookies to give you the best experience of By clicking ‘OK’ you agree to our use of cookies and Zealand’s privacy policy.

By clicking ‘OK’, you agree that our advertisers can process your data to target ads to you. You can withdraw your acceptance by clicking on ‘Ad Settings’ at the bottom of the page.


Cookie settings

If you do not want our partners to process your personal data and use it across the Internet, you can opt out here.