Academy of Technologies and Business

Study abroad

Studying with Zealand also means that you can do part of your educational programme with one of our partner institutions.

When you are considering a student exchange in the form of a study abroad, you must first orientate yourself with the programme specific requirements which are defined in the curriculum of your educational programme. Especially, it is important that you orientate yourself about the academic requirements that exist for the semester in which you wish to join for an exchange programme. Elsewhere on this website you find programme specific information informing you about your study programme. Here you can find the curriculum for your study programme including a detailed semester descriptions.

As a general rule study abroad exchanges must be hosted by one of the partner institutions we have. Only in very special cases and based upon an individual evaluation we may accept that you join for an exchange with an institution where we don’t have a partner agreement as a so-called “free-rider”.

The following requirements must be meet by students who wish to apply for a study abroad exchange with one of our partner institutions:

  1. The student must have passed the first year/first 2 semesters of a study programme (for some programmes only 1 semester – check with your relevant curriculum) and have passed the courses of the programme with an average mark of at least “4”
  2. The student must have language skills in the relevant study abroad language (typically English) at a level equivalent to an IELTS of 6.0 to 6.5 (CEFR level B2). You must observe whether the foreign institution where you wish to do your exchange requires proof of language level (proficiency) in the form of a Language proficiency test score (e.g. IELTS, TOEFL etc). If this is the case, you have to enrol and join for such test to be able to proof proficiency. Ask your student counsellor about testing sites in Denmark.
  3. The student must be independent and have shown adaptability (cross-cultural competences).

Further, having an exchange as a study abroad approved requires that the foreign institution is nationally recognized as a higher education institution in the institutions home country. Finallythe following additional requirements must be meet by the foreign institution and the subjects/courses:

  • Courses/subjects are offered as part of an officially recognized full-time study programme at Higher Educational level.
  • Are offered on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th year of an educational programme (undergraduate level)
  • The academic level of courses corresponds to the student’s higher education programme in Denmark.
  • Must be relevant to the student’s higher education programme (curriculum), but do not necessarily have to be identical to the subjects in the Danish curriculum (semester).
  • The total number of “credits” studied abroad must correspond to a Danish semester, ie. minimum 30 ECTS

Generally, an exchange as a study abroad has a duration of one semester and can maximum have a duration of 2 semesters.

A study abroad exchange can be decided from a geographical point of view. A study abroad exchange can be within the EU/EEA, at an institution in one of the EU/EEA member countries, or a study abroad can be outside the EU/EEA, at an institution in a country outside the European Union.

Study Abroad within the EU – Erasmus

Study Abroad outside the EU

Destinations - where can I go?

Have a look at the available destinations/partner institutions here (link will open in a new window).


Going on an exchange, either as an internship or as a study abroad, there will be some financial aspects to take into consideration.

When you go on an exchange abroad, you will typically have to consider and expect the following expenses (the list is not complete and will vary from country to country):

  1. Valid passport (minimum 1 year validity from the date when the exchange begins)
  2. VISA (check visa requirements for the country you consider)
  3. Vaccinations ( )
  4. Insurance (Firstly, check out your present coverage and existing options with your present insurance company. Secondly, check with your professional association if you have a student membership in such professional association. Otherwise check on
  5. Tuition / tuition fees
  6. Travel Expenses
  7. Housing costs in the host country during the exchange
  8. Living expenses/costs during the exchange (food, phone, local transport etc.)

How to finance an exchange abroad
Generally speaking you can follow these guidelines (it is always your own responsibility to check with the relevant authorities for the most updated information and specific rules and regulations):

Danish SU and the student loan (SU-lån)
If you receive Danish SU then you can apply with the SU authorities to have your SU (and student loan) during an exchange or to receive Danish SU (and student loan) for attending and completing a full programme abroad

Especially, you should observe if you receive SU as a resident with your parents that you can apply for SU as a student living by yourself “udeboende” if you join for an exchange or internship abroad.

In general you can receive SU and student loan as “udeboende” when your exchange is part of your education programme here in Denmark, meaning that full credits are merited/transferred by your Danish institution and that the exchange don’t prolong your studies with the Danish Institution. And normally your SU (and student loan) will not be affected by other grants or possibilities of financial support.

Talk to your student counsellor on SU issues or read more on

Other scholarships
A scholarship is typically an extra possibility for support that you can add to your SU. The scholarship is normally granted to cover the extra costs associated with exchanges abroad.

In general it can be quite difficult to identify which scholarships are available, where can they be found and am I eligible to apply for such scholarship. A lot of rules apply for different types of scholarships.

Click here to view guidelines for scholarships

Good advice

You should begin your planning of an exchange in good time before departure. We recommend to start your planning ½ – 1 year before your intended exchange. Procedures take time, there are many opportunities to be evaluated and further a number of practical issues you must decide before you are good to go.

You should explore:

  • The desired/intended place to study
  • Decide upon a study program to study
  • Search for opportunities for financial support
  • Housing
  • Insurance
  • Linguistic preparation, language tests and other tests if needed
  • The journey, residence permit/study visa, immunizations, etc.
  • And most likely a lot more

The student is assigned with a local a contact person at Zealand. The contact person will stay in touch with the students during the exchange. This is among others to ensure that the exchange progress as planned and if changes, that they are consistent with requirements. Be sure you know your contact person before you leave!

See more good advice here


It is your own responsibility to make sure that you have the necessary insurance if you want to do an internship abroad or a study abroad with one of our partner institutions. AND if your exchange abroad is within the ERASMUS PLUS programme then you need to observe a mandatory insurance requirement which you need to be able to document.

Read more about insurance

Home again

Please note that your exchange must be reported by you at the latest three months after terminated your exchange and returned back to Zealand. If not reported in time, we reserve the right to require any grant or scholarship refunded, and in worst case we will ask the Authorities to withdraw the grant/scholarship amount from your SU/Income.

Regarding reporting an exchange the following is expected:

  • A short debrefing on the exchange, max 1 page.
  • Final report
  • Travel expense report – e.g. if you have received a grant/scholarship then you must document that is has been used to cover expenses during your exchange (invoices, boarding cards, etc.)

Interruption of your exchange
If you decide to interrupt/cancel your exchange abroad before time, you must notify your student counsellor and local international campus coordinator immediately. Either when you have made such decision or as soon as you arrive back home.

You must report back to us the same way as if you had stayed as planned for the full duration of the exchange.

Your student counsellor will decide upon the credit recognitions issue together with the international coordinator, programme coordinator and others if needed. Further, it will be decided whether you are to refund all or part of any grant/scholarship received.

E+ charter

E+ Policy Statement

Erasmus+ ID: DK KOGE03

OID: E100 70 657


March 15


September 25


Cookie settings

We use cookies to give you the best experience of By clicking ‘OK’ you agree to our use of cookies and Zealand’s privacy policy.

By clicking ‘OK’, you agree that our advertisers can process your data to target ads to you. You can withdraw your acceptance by clicking on ‘Ad Settings’ at the bottom of the page.


Cookie settings

If you do not want our partners to process your personal data and use it across the Internet, you can opt out here.